I'm a mom who loves to cook/bake, but also trying to eat healthy and cook nutritiously for my family. This is just a place I can access when we are trying to figure out what to cook for the week. I don't claim perfection on these recipes, but we're trying through experimentation. Any suggestions would be welcome!
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Zucchini Pasta
If you are concerned about too many carbs when you have pasta, a possible substitute for some of the pasta is adding zucchini to bulk it up. Trevor and I loved this dish, but Calvin wasn't too thrilled about it. He's still not a convert to zucchini, but that doesn't mean we stop trying. :0)
8 oz. uncooked linguine (we used whole wheat spaghetti)
4 cups coarsely shredded zucchini (about 3 medium)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 large mushrooms (probably about 1/2 C. chopped)
1-2 C. chopped tomatoes
1/4 C. plain yogurt
3/4 C. shredded cheddar cheese (we used about 1/2 C. Monterey Jack because that's what we had on hand)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1. Cook linguine according to package directions.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, saute zucchini in oil for 2 minutes. Add garlic; saute 1-2 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender. Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook about 30 seconds longer or until mushrooms are just barely cooked. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the yogurt, cheese, salt and pepper. Drain linguine; add to zucchini mixture and toss to coat.
Update: We made this again but substituted sour cream for the yogurt (I did approximately 2-3 Tbsp) and we liked it a lot. I almost like it better than the yogurt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That looks really yummy! I have a handful of kids who wouldn't like it too much, either, but I certainly would!
ReplyDelete