I'm a mom who loves to cook/bake, but also trying to eat healthy and cook nutritiously for my family. This is just a place I can access when we are trying to figure out what to cook for the week. I don't claim perfection on these recipes, but we're trying through experimentation. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Healthful Pumpkin Cookies

I got this recipe from my friend Sarah.  I tried it today and we all loved them!  The dates (and chocolate chips of course) make it sweet and there isn't any butter or shortening in them!  I think nuts would be really good in them as well.

1/2 C. cooked pureed pumpkin (fresh or from a can)
1/4 C. applesauce
1 C. dates
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 C. rolled oats
1/2 C. chocolate chips or 1 C. raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a blender, mix the first set of ingredients (down to the salt) until mostly smooth.  Add water if it needs more liquid to blend properly.  Pour into a bowl and mix in the grains and chocolate chips or raisins.  Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet and cook for 9-12 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies).

5 comments:

  1. Lindsay, How much salt do you put in. I was gong to make them this afternoon and noticed no salt. Hmmmm Is that why it's low sodium?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really good! I am going to try them with coconut and almond flour instead of wheat and see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, let me know how they taste with almond/coconut flour!

    ReplyDelete