I'm a mom who loves to cook/bake, but also trying to eat healthy and cook nutritiously for my family. This is just a place I can access when we are trying to figure out what to cook for the week. I don't claim perfection on these recipes, but we're trying through experimentation. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

White Bean, Sweet Potato, and Pepper Ragout

1 large red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large sweet potato, peeled, quartered, and sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp. minced fresh rosemary or ¼ tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
½ C. water
¼ tsp. pepper
2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (I cook my own using dried white beans from the cannery—about 4 cups cooked)
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained (I used cut up fresh tomatoes when they are in season—about 2 cups worth)
¼ tsp. salt

In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir peppers in oil until tender. Add the sweet potato, garlic, and rosemary; cook 4-5 minutes longer.

Stir in water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, and salt; heat through.

Note: If you use fresh beans or tomatoes instead of canned, you might need to add more salt depending on how much you think it needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment