I'm a mom who loves to cook/bake, but also trying to eat healthy and cook nutritiously for my family. This is just a place I can access when we are trying to figure out what to cook for the week. I don't claim perfection on these recipes, but we're trying through experimentation. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Monday, October 25, 2010

Baked Penne with Tomatoes and Mozzarella


1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (I use fresh tomatoes when they are in season)
2 Tbsp. minced fresh basil (I'm generous with this amount when I can be)
Salt and Pepper
1 box whole wheat Penne pasta (13.25 oz)
8 ounces mozzarella, shredded (about 2 cups--sometimes I do more like 1.5 cups)
1 pound of broccoli, chopped and steamed
1 can olives, chopped

1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot.

2. Meanwhile, cook 1 Tbsp. oil and the garlic in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until the garlic is fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Stir in the basil and 1/2 tsp. salt and some black pepper. Add the olives and steamed broccoli.

3. When the water is boiling, stir in the pasta. Cook, stirring often, until the Penne is almost tender but still a little firm to the bite.

4. Drain the pasta and add the tomato sauce and toss to coat.

5. Spread half the Penne in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese. Spread the remaining Penne in the dish and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella.

6. Bake at 400 degrees until cheese turns golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment