Still have some leftover turkey from Thanksgiving? Here's a good way to use it up!
(So it's usually dark outside when I take these pictures so they don't turn out very good. I don't claim to be a food artist. :0)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and minced (for a spicier chili you could probably add some seeds)
1 (4 oz.) can green chilies (mild)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. water
1 can white beans (I used the white beans from the cannery - 2 cups cooked)
2 C. cooked turkey (1/2 inch cubes)
1/8 C. cilantro, chopped
1/2 C. cheese (I omitted this and didn't miss it)
Saute onions in oil about 5 minutes or until onions start to get soft and translucent. Add garlic, jalapenos, chilies, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, pepper, and salt. Cook one minute. Stir in water, beans, and turkey. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cilantro. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with cheese. Serves 4.
When I made it, I didn't think it had enough water, so I added about 1/2 cup more. Then I was worried that I weakened the flavor so I added a little more cumin and salt to it. It ended up being pretty spicy, so if you are not a spicy person then you might want to reduce the cayenne pepper amount. I thought it tasted really good, though, and Calvin ate it once I convinced him to try it (he looked at it and thought he wouldn't like it). I did omit the cilantro from Calvin's portion because he has an aversion to cilantro right now. We served this with whole wheat cornbread.

Great idea for using leftover turkey! Thanks!
ReplyDelete