I'm a mom who loves to cook/bake, but also trying to eat healthy and cook nutritiously for my family. This is just a place I can access when we are trying to figure out what to cook for the week. I don't claim perfection on these recipes, but we're trying through experimentation. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Leah's Famous Chicken Korma (my version)

My sister--in-law, Leah, is a great cook and while the original recipe is amazing, this version is a little lighter and has more vegetables.  I'll include both the original recipe and then my changes in blue.  I hope I don't offend her by changing the recipe.

Boil 1 1/2 pounds (a couple) chicken breasts (boneless/skinless) in water flavored with curry powder and salt (I omit the salt). Do not boil to death. Just until barely done. Remove from water and cool. Then cut into big chunks and set aside.

1/3 C. oil (scant 1/4 C. oil)
3 C. chopped onions (2.5-3 onions)
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
12 green cardamom pods
15 whole cloves
2 tsp. curry powder
4 bay leaves
2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp.+ cayenne pepper (the amount you use determines the heat of the Korma)
1 C. plain yogurt (You could probably sub. fat free plain yogurt)
2 tsp. salt (I usually do 1 tsp. and then add more to my own plate if I feel it needs it)
1/2 C. heavy cream (1/2 C. skim milk or half-and-half)
1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1 C. peas (I use frozen)

  1. Heat oil and cook onions, cauliflower, carrots, garlic, and ginger until translucent and golden. 
  2. Add cardamom pods, cloves, curry powder, bay leaves, and cook 5-10 minutes more.
  3. Add coriander and cayenne pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
  4. Add yogurt 1/4 cup at a time until mixture reduces (10-15 minutes)
  5. Add chicken which has been cooked and cut.  Simmer until oil begins to separate on top.
  6. Add cream (skim milk), turmeric, and peas.  Simmer until everything is heated through and the vegetables are cooked enough to your liking.
We usually serve this with brown rice, but Basmati rice would be more authentic.  Unless you like to live on the wild side, be sure to remove the cardamom pods, bay leaves, and cloves before eating them! :0)

Indian spices can get a little expensive, but the thing to realize is that they will last for many, many meals.  Where I live I found a little store that sells only Indian food called Madras Grocery and the spices are very reasonably priced (there are lots of these places in the Bay Area :0).  Also, you might try buying some of them in the bulk section of a place like Sprout's.

One more note:  After making this a few more times, I've realized that you need at least a little bit of fat.  So if you are concerned about fat content, I would choose either plain whole yogurt or half-and-half or something with a little bit of fat.  I have also know made this as a vegetarian curry with a whole head of cauliflower and more carrots omitting the chicken and it was really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment