I'm a mom who loves to cook/bake, but also trying to eat healthy and cook nutritiously for my family. This is just a place I can access when we are trying to figure out what to cook for the week. I don't claim perfection on these recipes, but we're trying through experimentation. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Coconut Chicken Curry

Any person with experience in Indian food would probably laugh at this being called "Coconut Chicken Curry," but it's a very simplified version of it.  I like to think of it as a revised version of Hawaiian Haystacks from what I used to make.  Very simple to prepare in a crockpot.  I think carrots, peas, red bell pepper, or cauliflower would also be good in this.

2 medium potatoes
1 small onion, chopped
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each)
1 C. light coconut milk (I used regular because that's all we had)
4 tsp. curry powder
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 C. cooked brown rice
1/4 C. thinly sliced green onions
Raisins, flaked coconut, shredded cheese, peanuts or cashews (optional)

1.  Place potatoes and onion in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.  In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken on both sides.  Transfer to slow cooker.

2.  In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, curry, garlic, salt, and pepper; pour over chicken.  Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until chicken is tender.

3.  Serve chicken and sauce with rice; sprinkle with green onions.  Garnish with the other optional toppings if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Lindsay-
    Did you know that you can add water to coconut milk to make it "lite"? That is all lite coconut milk is - regular w/added water.

    I can eat this! I am going to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I just don't know the proportions of coconut milk to water. I actually did add extra water when I made it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you add more seasoning because the flavor was weakened.

    Hope it goes well for you if you do make it!

    ReplyDelete