I'm a mom who loves to cook/bake, but also trying to eat healthy and cook nutritiously for my family. This is just a place I can access when we are trying to figure out what to cook for the week. I don't claim perfection on these recipes, but we're trying through experimentation. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Carrot Pineapple Cake

We made this for Levi's first birthday and it was really good.  I received many compliments from those that were there.

Here is the original recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/carrot-pineapple-cake-i/Detail.aspx

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar (I made it again using only 1 cup sugar and you couldn't tell I reduced it more)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 1/2 cup applesauce (you could maybe even do 1/3 C. oil and 2/3 C. applesauce)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups shredded carrots
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves. Make a well in the center and add sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix with wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in carrots, coconut, walnuts and pineapple.
  3. Pour into 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Don't panic, the center will sink a little. Allow to cool. 
Cream cheese frosting:

8 ounces cream cheese softened (I used Neufchatel)
1 Tablespoon sour cream
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar

Process the cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and vanilla in a food processor until combined, about 5 seconds. Add the confectioners' sugar and continue to process until smooth, about 10 seconds, scraping down the bowl and blades as needed.  Makes about 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment