Quinoa with veggies
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 green onions, chopped
I also added:
1 zucchini, slice thin
3 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- (I rinse the quinoa first through a mesh strainer.) Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes. Once done, set aside. Note: I just cooked our quinoa in our rice cooker and it worked great.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook until the garlic softens and the aroma mellows, about 2 minutes. Add the red pepper, carrots, and corn; continue cooking until the pepper softens, about 5 minutes. Season with cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper, and cook for 1 minute more, then stir in the cooked quinoa and green onions. Serve hot or cold.
That does look really good. My boys don't care for Quinoa either - except the Quinoa flakes that I add to meatloaf and meatballs. It is like oatmeal so it is "hidden". I find cooking it in chicken stock/broth will give it a better flavor too.
ReplyDeleteCalvin's just funny because he has no problem eating tofu when we tell him it's chicken, but he doesn't like quinoa even though we tell him it's like rice. Maybe we need more "sauce" put on it or something. Well, hopefully eventually he'll acquire a taste for it. Maybe I'll try using chicken broth next time. Thanks for the tip!
ReplyDeleteI have found that white quinoa doesn't have as much flavor as red. I will mix the two so that I have more flavor, plus it looks a bit more appetizing to me.
ReplyDeleteMaybe we'll try red quinoa sometime. Do you think it has a more appetizing taste that a little kid would like? I know sometimes the white quinoa has had a little bit of a bitter taste (maybe I didn't rinse it enough before cooking it?).
ReplyDeleteRed Quinoa to me is like how brown rice is to white rice. It has more flavor, and isn't as bitter as white. I'm not sure if a kid would like it more. But I know that i like it much more than white quinoa. But due to the price, I mix the red and white to have it go farther :)
ReplyDelete